Ever since City of Heroes returned officially, I’ve been working to try and get MidsReborn running on Linux. It’s not supported officially, and in fact not recommended by the devs of MidsReborn, I still wanted to have the opportunity to create builds. After all, one of the most wonderful parts of CoH/CoV is character creation.
To get this working for me, using Pop!_OS, I used Lutris. As this process was new to me, and it may be for others who follow this post, I am including images for each step.
- Download .NET6 using the link from the MidsReborn Github. I just saved the “.exe” to my Downloads directory.
- Download the Zip from the latest releases on the MidsReborn Github. For me it was
- In Lutrus, click the
Install a Windows game from an executable.
- In the next screen, give the Game name as “MidsReborn”. Leave the Installer preset and Locale alone. Click
Installin the upper right.
- It’s time to setup wine. Click
- Select the directory you want to install the enviornment. For me I selected
- Select the installer for .NET6. Click
Installin the upper right when ready.
- A little box will pop up, and not too long after that, we’ll see the familiar installer.
- Once finished click
Closeon the .NET6 installer and then click
Closeon the Lutris Install Window. You should see the text
The intent with this step is to ensure that we have the correct runtime files for MidsReborn to work. Now we need to actually install MidsReborn.
- Extract the contents of the MidsReborn zip file into the location you picked in step 5. I just selected the “Desktop” of the wine install location.
- In Lutris, find MidsReborn, or whatever you named it in step 4,
Right Clickand select
- In the
Game optionsand select the
MidsReborn.exeas the executable. This can be found where you extracted the zip during step 10. Also set the Prefix architecture to
64-bit. Then click
Runner options, I set the Wine version to
Proton - Experimental. I have this due to having Steam installed already. It may work with GE-Proton, or other Wine Versions, but this is my default check to start. Select Save.
- Double click MidsReborn in Lutris and enjoy!